A Ski Vacation & Some Accidental Cliff Diving

Over spring break, I went skiing with my dad’s family in Lake Tahoe! The weather was perfect for me- it was warm every day, there was fresh snow on the ground, and there was a slight breeze aloft in the trees. I have only skied four times in my life before, but I picked it up extremely fast! I had recently done my first double black diamond, which is the hardest ski trail that the resorts have. On my third day of this trip, my dad asked me if I would like to add another double black diamond to my list of things I have skied. I said, “Sure, why not! What’s the worst that could happen?”

Little did I know… this would be a very scary experience!

As I started down the trail with my dad and my aunt, Tara, I noticed that there were a lot of sharp rocks, sticks, and unmarked objects jutting out haphazardly from where the snow had melted away. My dad told me to keep my speed so I could get enough air to jump over the logs. I timidly followed his lead, and I got the hang of it! My confidence was boosted as I glided smoothly across the steep, icy snow. I began to pick up more and more speed, and then, something daunting became visible in my view. After the jump that I was pointed to go on, there was a 15 foot cliff!

Closer and closer I came to the jump. I made a half-hearted effort to slow down, but I knew it was far too late. I came flying off the jump, and l could only think of one thing to do- which is to slide off the cliff like a penguin! Down I slid, over snow laden rocks and past frosty trees! I closed my eyes, and before I knew it, I had landed on my butt with a thump. Luckily, I was ok and it was a soft landing. What I learned is that I should always be careful!