Rad Reading – January!

For this month’s reading, I read Girl in Pieces by Kathleen Glasgow. This book is a fictional story about a girl who’s “already lost more than most people do in a lifetime.” She says she has lost her best friend and her mother. To relive her depression, she breaks things and sadly uses them to cut herself! With each painful cut comes a new scar and a new bad memory that’s almost impossible to forget for most people. One night, when she goes too far, she is taken to a hospital where hopefully she will learn that causing pain won’t change anything.

I thought that this book was ok, but I think it was WAY too sad for me! But if you like deep books that leave you with a very emotional feeling, then this is the perfect fit for you. It is really well written, but I personally would not read it again. Although I didn’t love this book, the author did do an amazing job making all of the characters feel real like they are right next to you. The characters will definitely take you into their emotional life!

Casper the nurse was my favorite character. Even though she was sort of a background character, she dedicated her life to helping the girls in every way she could. One of her character traits is kind. A quote that demonstrates her kindness is on page 6, when the author says, “Casper always tells us to breathe…don’t we feel better when we just breathe?” This demonstrates her kindness because she wants all of the girls to be happy, calm, and at ease.

My favorite quote from this story is “I’m willing to fly you all the way here just so I don’t have to fly back all by myself.” (page 382) This is my favorite quote because it is really sweet. you will have to read this book to understand what I mean. This quote happened at the end of the story, when she is flying on the airplane for the first time. I interpreted it as showing that even in the darkest of times, everything can still work out in the end. This part of the book is where she finds a job and starts her life back up, without having to cut herself. Because hurting yourself won’t change anything, and Charlotte finally learns to enjoy life while we have it.